The Franciscan monastery, inaugurated in 1887, was built to reorganize the TOR friars dispersed by the suppression that took place after the Italian Unification. The Order rebirth was made by two famous friars of Francavilla, Emidio Maricotti (1834) and Angelo De Mattia (1839). Both have held important positions in the Order and were TOR General Ministers in different periods.
Born in Francavilla d’Ete on the 13th of April 1834, he was a theologian, Minister of the Province Umbro-Picena in 1884 and General Minister of the Order from 1885 to 1897. After the religious orders suppression in 1860 he tried to reorganize the TOR. He commissioned the Rule and the Order Constitutions reprinting. He started the first Seraphic College of TOR and contributed greatly to the foundation of the Monastery of St.Anthony in Francavilla. He died in Rome in 1897.